Domestic Heating Advice and Guides
Helping you get the most from your cental heating system
This blog was built to advise people on all things boiler and central heating related. Run by qualified gas engineers, we hope our advice will help people make the right choices for themselves and their homes. We also match homeowners and landlords with local, reputable gas engineers.
Need a quote for a new boiler? Fill in this contact form and someone will be in touch
A Note On Corona Virus And Your Heating System
The Corona Virus outbreak is something we may (hopefully) never see again in our lifetime. Hundreds of thousands are infected with thousands dying each day. Most of the population is self-isolating, and as a result our central heating systems are going to be working a lot harder to keep homes warm and provide hot water. This increased use will result in more boilers breaking down. We have listed a few small common problems you may be able to rectify yourself.
- Low water pressure – Add more water via the filling loop underneath or integral filling loop directly underneath the boiler. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do this.
- Radiators not heating up properly – Bleed radiators from the bleed at the top (could be on either side). If you have a combi boiler don’t forget to add more water to the system.
- Boiler coming on at the wrong times – You may have forgot to change to time after the clocks went back. Find your timer/programmers manual and follow the instructions.
- Boiler won’t fire up – If you have a prepayment meter, make sure it has gas on it (we see this a lot). Don’t forget to reset the boiler after you have topped up the meter.
- Radiators won’t heat up at all – This could be a faulty TRV or an airlock. Turn all the working radiators off and see if it forces the water through to the one that doesn’t work. If it doesn’t heat up, remove the TRV head and make sure the pin will push down. If it’s stuck down you can usually pull it up gently with a pair of pliers.
We hope these few tips may help rectify any small faults with your heating system. If you’re struggling, call a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. As key workers, most gas engineers will continue to operate on boiler and gas emergencies throughout the outbreak. Just make sure you exercise caution and maintain social distancing.
If you want any help or advice email us at email@example.com we would be happy to talk you through any small faults you may be able to rectify yourself.
Featured guides and advice
Are Magnetic Filters Worth It?
Magnetic filters are a common sight on most boiler installations nowadays. This post will answer all your questions.
Are magnetic filters worth it? How do they work? Which magnetic filters are best? And, how much do they cost?
How Do Combi Boilers Work
How do combi boilers work? How much are they? What are the advantages and disadvantages? This guide will help you understand how combi boilers work, and what the benefits are.
Boiler Installation - The Complete Guide
Boilers are the beating heart of our homes. Providing heating and hot water, boilers play an essential role in our homes.
Our boiler installation guide will help you with every aspect of a boiler installation or replacement.
Recent blog posts
Boiler Losing Pressure
Possibly one of the most frustrating things that can go wrong with a central heating system, these are our tops to help stop the pressure from dropping
What is a Heat-only Boiler?
What is a heat-only boiler? How do they work? What's the difference between a heat only boiler and a combi boiler? Or even a system boiler for that matter?
What is a System Boiler?
Much like regular boilers, system boilers heat hot water indirectly though a hot water tank. But instead of using a feed tank, they take their water supply directly from the mains
Combi Boiler Installation Cost (2020)
Looking for a new combi boiler installation can be difficult. There are so many companies to choose from. Prices vary wildly so much, they don't even make sense.....
How Do Unvented Cylinders Work?
In recent years unvented cylinders have been growing in popularity. But what actually is one? How how does it work?
Combi Boiler Pros and Cons - What You Need To Know
If you're reading this, chances are you're thinking of getting a combi boiler. This post covers almost all pros and cons of combi boilers.....